Monday, March 4, 2013

Too much Kapwa is no bueno!


The world we live in today is cruel, unfair, and unjust. Problems are all around us from small things like you lost your direction, to major ones like having no one to cry on when the whole world just start making you feel alone. Problems are just unavoidable and we all need someone to run to when we need a helping hand. Kapwa is the solution to all problems, Kapwa is a Filipino core value that means having each others back. Kapwa is applicable to everyone around you even total strangers. To make it simple, Kapwa is being selfless towards your fellow being. if you can't get what I'm trying to say then imagine yourself being in the Christmas-season-mood where you are very nice to everyone you meet that's the closest thing I can compare to Kapwa. I practice kapwa every day that it became a part of my instinct. I remember when I was a kid my parents always buy me a bunch of food when we are going to the park and play. They then let me go by myself and play with other kids and tell me "don't forget to share your food with them okay?" and I always smile and say "sure!". As a kid they thought me how to share what I have and I grew up with it.


 As I grow up 

I realized, If every single person will practice Kapwa then no one will be in deep trouble, no one will starve out of love, no one and no one will be poor. As I continue to meet other people I realized that treating someone in a selfless manner can change them. A year before we migrated here in the United States I had a friend who I treated like a real brother. I always back him up whenever he is in trouble and he backs me up too but after a while he became a liar by making up situations like "bro can you do my assignment for me? because I need to visit my friend in the hospital" or "I don't have money to buy food can you buy me some? ill take care of the food tomorrow" (but he never does) at first I turned a blind eye on him, I trusted him since he is my friend plus it is in my instinct to help. After few months of turning a blind-eye on him I started to space out from him since my Kapwa value in me will just turn him to a worse person. I learned a lot from that experience and made me realize that every great value have their own drawbacks.

 Kapwa is a strong value, you can start by sharing a seat to an old lady in the bus, or by sharing your food to your friend! I promise you that the feedback you get after doing Kapwa will make your day. just be mindful that it can also change the way people take you, especially the people close to you.

2 comments:

  1. I like this post, I can relate to what you are saying. especially when you gave an example about your parents. My mom says the same thing too growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kenneth. I like how you defined kapwa. Sharing is a big thing for everyone because that’s how we get along and be together as friends or teams. Well, just as long as they don’t abuse it. This blog post made me think about my other friend who’s a total moocher. Every time I hang out with him, I end up paying for his food because I don’t want it to be awkward and let him watch me eat my own food. He kept saying that he’ll pay me back as soon as he gets his money but he never did. I just recommend you to stay chill and I hope your friend learns a lesson sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete