Sunday, September 30, 2012

Mainstream Virus Alert!

"Teach me how to dougie, teach me teach me how to dougie!" I bet you want to dance now don't you?. I love that song but I can't dance. Every time my friends play that song they all get into their zone, forget everything around them, and dance like a drunken worm.

Media is the strongest trend setter. Anything the media advertise becomes the mainstream which the community follows because it is something new and cool. I personally follow mainstream every now and then for two reasons. My first reason is that I find the new trend cool and it suits my personality. Second, I follow it because I don't want to be left out by what's "in". I noticed that it changed me and the way I think. When I started to stop going with the flow I began to lose the feeling of belongingness. Before I knew it, following mainstream became my addiction and it felt like my identity can't exist without it.


I have a good friend back in Philippines who got really into mainstream. He started to change because of the "SWAG". He began to talking sh*t and joined a gang. He became less interested about his studies and chose to spend most of his time outside the campus, smoking cigars all day with his gang mates. After a few months, we passed by each other as if we were complete strangers and that's the last time I saw him.




There is nothing wrong about following what's "in" especially if the the community accepts it. What makes it bad is when it started to corrupt your essence and dictates what you should be. Try to reflect on yourself, check how your identity is right now, before it's too late and you lose everything.


3 comments:

  1. I can relate to your point, this is Very Enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the "teach me how to dougie" video. I love that song lol, also liked how you said this because I can relate to this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good that your also aware of these things! You could have a career ahead of you!

    ReplyDelete